Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wisconsin Grand york Rite Session

Here we are, in Greenbay Wisconsin. After a long 8 hour drive through rain and construction I arrived in Greenbay at 11 pm last night, got checked into the hotel and slept in this morning.

I have heard many different opinions about attending out of state sessions for the Grand York Rite Bodies. Personally I enjoy them as a mini vacation, but do wonder why I take off work, drive many many miles, pay $30 for banquets, just to be introduced. Yes, my priority is first and foremost the state of our Grand Commandery and local Commanderies in Iowa, so why attend other states? Yes, it is an ego trip, people like to be recognized, honored, etc. But there is more to it than that. Part of it is the mutual recognition between the states, the friendships that you form with people you may only see once or twice a year. Most important is the information you gain from hearing about their jurisdictions accomplishments and challenges. New ideas don't have to be formed in-house, we can copy what works for others or learn what didn't work for them. To me, other than the ego thing, this is what I like to get out of out of state visits. A sharing of ideas.
I am proud to tell them of Iowa's accomplishments. To represent the Sir Knights and Masons of Iowa in a positive and professional manner is an enjoyable part of being your Grand Commander, and for that I thank each and every Sir Knight of Iowa and pray that I fulfill the responsibilities before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment