Monday, June 29, 2009

Willmar Minnesota

Willmar Minnesota, ever been there? Well there is not much there to see or do, but this past weekend was a lot of fun in Willmar. The Grand Commandery of Minnesota held its Grand Conclave there and they do have fun up north.

I played my role as the chauffeur for the Grand Captain of the Host of the Grand Chapter RAM of Iowa and my mother. We arrived Thursday late afternoon after I had got off from work. 6 hour drive, with road construction. We met up with some other Iowans and had a good dinner in the hotel, before going to the hospitality room. It seems all Grand Conclaves have great hospitality rooms and Minn is no exception. Just what I need more food. Hope my uniform fits after this year LOL!! That night I had mixed emotions, seems my reputation as an expert cribbage player was being challenged! And I wasn't living up to the challenge. Ended up only down a couple games, but that was playing against two Minnesotans.

The next day was their Grand Commandery. SK Bruce, GC, did a good job and their business session went well. That night was the Grand Banquet for all three York Rite Grands. Having all three in one banquet is just to much, they keep introductions and presentations to a minimum, but still my eyes wanted to shut and my rear was hurting from sitting so long. A surprise was when of my good friends from there received the Knight Templar Cross of Honor. I had received this award over ten years ago, and count it as one of if not the most meaningful to me, as it cannot be bought or applied for, only earned. This same Sir Knight was elected to the bottom of their Grand Line , the start at Grand Junior Warden, where here in Iowa we start at Grand Captain General. This man is just a little older than me and we share many same interests including putting around a golf course.

While in Minnesota I met a new Sir Knight, Justin, he was knighted Wed night before the beginning of Conclave. He and his wife had never been to a Grand Commandery Conclave and were really having a great time. He hadn't played cribbage in a long time, but by the third night he had no trouble counting his 12 or 16 hands by himself. I learned from him and his wife what it was to experience Conclave for the first time. I have been going to these things since birth, so their perception is important. They would have brought their two kids had they known other kids would be there (there were lots of kids and grand kids there) and that the hotel let them buy their meals as kids from the restaurant. Maybe us higher ups have forgot what is like to be a new young Sir Knight with a family? Do we want our families involved? Maybe we should make sure and accommodate some of their needs.
It was a good time, great friends some old, some new, and some new insights.

4 comments:

  1. I can't help but agree that the 'higher ups' have forgotten what it is like having a family. The majority of 'higher ups' are much older, retired, and have grandkids (fortunately, you're not in that category).

    However, if the order wants younger Sir Knights, we need to accommodate the schedules of those we want as members. Examples would include family friendly events, and moving large events to weekends or evening, to accommodate younger Sir Knights' work and family schedules.

    Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that. And please wear your name tags. Just because you get introduced doesn't mean everyone remembers your name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wholeheartedly agree with the comments about the higher "ups" forgetting about the rest of the troops. Expensive, boring dinners appeal to no one except those at the head table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. REGC Bryce,

    Thank you for the kind words. I do think that I might still be younger than you it is just my gray hair confuses people. Glad that you enjoyed your weekend up North with us.

    James McNeely, KTCH
    Grand Junior Warden

    ReplyDelete